100 Years of Church of God Seventh Day (CG7) History
Dec. 1899 - General Conference (G.C.) incorporated in Missouri.
1900 Magazine changes name to Bible Advocate and Herald of the Coming Kingdom.
1903 Michigan pioneer Gilbert Cranmer dies.
1906 Andrew N. Dugger begins ministry.
1914 Jacob Brinkerhoff retires; A. N. Dugger becomes Advocate editor.
1900-22 Church expands from the Midwest to West Coast, deep South, East, and High Plains; over 1,000 members added in 1921.
1923 The name Church of God Seventh Day) is adopted.
1925 Bible Advocate ceases to be open forum for debatable Issues.
1927 G.C. resolution calls for doctrinal conformity among membership.
1931 A. N. Dugger visits Jerusalem, proposes it for Church headquarters.
1932 Returning from Jerusalem, Elder Dugger moves to restore “Bible organization,” i.e., use of 12, 7, and 70 within the Church.
1933 Meeting in Stanberry, MO, the G.C. divides over Elder Dugger’s candidacy for president; a segment of members institutes “Bible organization” in Salem, WV.
1942 An attempt to reunite the Salem and Stanberry churches fails.
1947 Spring Vale Academy begins near Owosso, MI, operated by the Michigan State Conference. Salem and Stanberry appoint committees to study unity.
1948 Leadership of Salem and Stanberry meet at Fairview, OK. Later, both conferences hold national campmeeting at Stanberry.
1947-49 Publishing house and chapel constructed in Stanberry.
1949 Joint session of Salem and Stanberry meets to reunite the Church.
1950 G.C. “merger” offices move to Denver, CO, housed in the church basement.
1951 Midwest Theological Seminary starts at Stanberry.
1952 Nigerian church is organized by Charles Adams.
1953 G.C. offices move to Cook Street in Denver. EMGAM (Every Member Gain a Member), a program to double church attendance in two years, “Christian Worker Course,” and the “Searchlight Bible Course” are introduced by Home Missions. “Faith for Our Time” broadcasts (K. H. Freeman, speaker) begin on three radio stations, covering much of U.S.
1954 WAND (Women’s Association News Digest) is published.
1958 Laymen’s Research Committee brings turbulence to the Church.
1959 Free literature distribution begun for tracts. “AIM” becomes the youth magazine, replacing “Christian Herald and Gospel Call.” Spring Vale announces plans for a new dorm.
1961 Thirty-three acres north of Denver are purchased for $27,000. Searchlight Bible Course enrollment is up to 1,739 students. Youth Camp is sponsored by the Oregon State Conference.
1963 Bible Advocate celebrates 100th anniversary.
1964 E. A. Straub and Hugh Butrick travel to review the Church in foreign fields.
1965-1966 National Faithful Youth Challengers tour visits many churches.
1967 Robert Coulter and Ray Straub travel to evaluate the work in Central America. Worship in Song hymnals are published by the Bible Advocate Press. Youth camps are held in California, Oregon, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Missouri.
1968 First International Ministerial Council held in Monterrey, Mexico.
1969 “The Messenger” is sent free of charge to members. Spring Vale Academy opens new classroom/gymnasium.
1970 National Youth Leadership Retreat near Boulder, CO.
1970 Executive board plans to build new G.C. offices and publishing plant near Denver. Bible Advocate moves to subscription-free basis. Footprints replaces S. S. Missionary for children.
1971 Handbook is published by Sabbath School Department, with three-year curriculum for junior high youth. Wesley Walker and Robert Coulter tour the Caribbean church. E. A. Straub tours the work in Europe.
1972 G.C. offices and BAP move into new building near Denver. New men’s dormitory is completed at Midwest Bible College, Stanberry.
1973 Reorganization of departments under United Missions Board. VISTOC (Volunteers in Service to Our Church) program is introduced by Youth Agency. Home Missions develops cassette tape ministry. BAP mailing list is computerized.
1974 Ministerial Council adopts new statements on marriage and divorce.
1975 Trinidad Padilla is selected as speaker for “Faith for Our Time” and Ray Straub as director of new Ministerial Training Center. Women’s Association develops Seekers program for children 9-12.
1976-77 Ministerial Training Center begins operation in Denver, with closure of Midwest Bible College in Stanberry.
1978 Building for Ministerial Training Center library and classroom is destroyed by fire while being situated at the G.C. site; new modular building replaces it. First International Ministerial Congress is held in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.
1979 First senior adult retreat conducted by Phoenix, AZ, church.
1980 G.C. adopts goal to double membership in a decade. Media Outreach Agency generates seminars and notebooks for church growth.
1982 Job descriptions adopted for G.C. president and secretary/treasurer. Media Outreach Agency prepares doctrinal cassette series.
1983 Committee representing the G.C. and the General Council, Meridian, 10, prepares bylaws to serve as a basis for unification. Coordinating Committee serves between the Hispanic membership and G.C.
1987 G.C. adopts Unity Amendments with Meridian, but General Council defeats them, ending unification efforts. New bylaws rename the executive board as board of directors, and allow for laymen to serve.
1989 One-day conference on leadership is held previous to biennial G.C. Convention. Report from a Financial Study Committee, outlining three different models of financial flow, is referred for study and recommendation to the 1991 convention.
1991 G.C. approves Financial Option Plan providing freedom for churches to fund local ministries while maintaining accountability to district and G.C. The board of directors establishes a Hispanic Affairs Agency in Denver.
1994 North American Ministerial Council in Colorado Springs, CO, adopts a major revision of doctrinal beliefs booklet, reducing the statements from 37 to 27.
1995 G.C. separates the assignment of president from that of board chairman. Board of directors adopts plan for Annual Conference Training Seminars (ACTS).
1996 World Missions project takes place in Ukraine. Ministerial Council amends doctrine on Christ. The board employs a director of administration for oversight of G.C. offices, allowing the president to attend more field activities. A score of Hispanic congregations depart the G.C. to form a North American Conference in McAllen, TX.
1997 Spring Vale Academy celebrates 50th year.
1998 New G.C. ministry for young adults, known as SWORD (Sharing the Word; Offering a Real Difference) begins.
1999 First ever national leadership retreat draws 200 leaders to Glorieta, NM.
— from The Bible Advocate, December 1999
Twentieth Century General Conference Presidents
W. C. Long 1900-05
S. W. Mentzer 1905-1921
A. N. Dugger 1921-1927, 1929-1931 Burt Marrs 1927-1929, 1943-1949 William Alexander 1931-1933
A. S. Christenson 1933-1937
Roy Davison 1937-1941
Carl Carver 1941-1943
A. E. Lidell 1949-1953
E. A. Straub 1953-59
K. H. Freeman 1959-1963
Robert Coulter 1963-1987
Calvin Burrell 1987-1997
Whaid Rose 1997-