Newsletter 65, April, 2002
Viva La France! | French Bibles | Simple Things in Life | Islam: Is it Peace-Loving? | 20 Reasons Not To Take the New Smallpox Vaccine | An Honorable Judge | The Garden of His Delight | Leaving the Good Life | Making Evil Look Innocent | God’s Holy Days | Europa Rides the Beast | Rules of the Winds | Origin of Medical Practice | Who’s Who in the Bible
My college French history teacher, Professor Laferriere, instilled in me a deep appreciation for the culture, science, and literature, of the French people. His exams were most difficult: multiple-choice questions, with four possible answers, of which three could conceivably be correct. Laferriere’s scintillating intellect was impeccable, and he molded me to think like a Frenchman. The French are a very exciting people!
Dibar Apartian, former Worldwide Church of God evangelist, now with the Living Church of God, has served God’s people, including the French, for more than forty years. In his paper, The French-Speaking Peoples in Prophecy, Mr. Apartian traces the deportation and migrations of the Northern House of Israel, who along the way to northwestern Europe were known as the Scythians, Celts, Gauls, and Franks. His thesis is that the French are descendants of Reuben, firstborn son of Jacob.
Reuben’s character was ardent, impetuous, generous, and intelligent. He played a predominant role in the history of the Israelites, as the Gauls did among Celtic peoples. Reuben was guilty with his brothers when they plotted the destruction of Joseph, but the plan he made to preserve the life of their young brother, proves his courage and intelligence. As a compromise, Reuben succeeded in convincing his other brothers to throw Joseph into a dry cistern in the desert (Genesis 37:22), instead of shedding blood.
Reuben loved his own and others. He volunteered to assume, according to the promise he made to his father (Genesis 42:37), the load of responsibility to restore Benjamin to his father Jacob.
As with all men, Reuben also had his weaknesses and faults. His moral lapse caused him to lose his birthright (I Chronicles 5:1), because he “went and lay with Bilhah his father’s concubine,” Genesis 35:22.
Nevertheless, the oldest son of Jacob was blessed: “Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power: Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father’s bed; then defilest thou it: he went up to my couch,” Genesis 49:3-4.
Thus the descendants of Reuben, as prophesied, lost their pre-eminence in the course of history but have kept through the ages their superiority in dignity (culture) and power (military, economic, literature).
Although I am mainly of German descent, I have a heart for the French people. God does as well! France will continue to be a leading nation of the world. Viva la France! Before his death, Moses used similar words to bless the children of Reuben, “Let Reuben live, and not die; and let not his men be few,” Deuteronomy 33:6.
The French-Speaking Peoples in Prophecy, by Dibar Apartian, 33-pages, suggested donation of $5.00, to: Giving & Sharing, PO Box 100, Neck City, MO 64849.
You may order a La Sainte Bible (Louis Segond translation) from us for a suggested donation of $15.00, or via our website, www.giveshare.org/amazon/.
Besides Bibles, we would be pleased to offer our literature in the French language. Would you like to join others to translate from English to French?
France, Quebec and other parts of Canada, Martinique in the West Indies, Cayenne in South America, parts of West Africa, and other countries have French-speaking people. Please remember to pray for the French people.
“It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and rest, and living close to nature,” Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of Little House on the Prairie.
Raising a garden is one way to live close to nature. Grow a garden this year!
“There is no question, as we and others have thoroughly documented from the Qur’an, Hadith, and 1,300 years of history, that terrorism and violence in order to force the world into Islam, and threats of death to prevent defections, always have been the very heart of Islam throughout history and remain so today . . . . We offer the same challenge to Muslims that we offer to professing Christians. If one claims to be a Christian, one must follow the teachings of Christ. It is dishonest to invent one’s own brand of ‘Christianity’. And so it is with Islam. How can anyone claim to be a Muslim, yet fabricate his own peaceful version of Islam in contradiction of the teachings and example of Muhammad that perpetual jihad must be practiced to convert the entire world by force?” — Dave Hunt, February, 2002, The Berean Call.
1. George W. Bush has said of smallpox vaccination: “One of my concerns if we were to have universal vaccination, some might lose their life,” The Times (in London), November 9, 2001.
2. For each million people vaccinated with the smallpox vaccine, as many as 250 could die, according to the American Medical Association. Multiply 250 times 285 (millions of Americans) and the possible deaths from universal smallpox vaccination could equal 71,250, Journal of the American Medical Association, June 9, 1999, Vol. 281, No. 22, p. 2132.
3. “The American Medical Association said on Tuesday it was not in favor of an immediate mass U.S. smallpox vaccination program, saying the potential threat of a bioterror attack did not warrant inoculating every American against the disease,” Reuters, December 12, 2001.
4. “Right now the risk of getting the vaccine is higher than the benefit. You could get a secondary infection, a full-blown systemic infection,” Marie Rau, Panhandle Health District nurse, quoted by The Spokesman-Review, November 20, 2001.
5. CDC director Jeffrey Koplan has admitted that universal smallpox vaccination could unleash a significant number of side effects. He said that because many parts of our population do not have a “robust immune system,” a fair number of people could have serious reactions. Koplan speaking on the PBS special “Bioterror Propaganda,” aired by WETA, November 14, 2001.
6. If the entire nation were to receive a smallpox vaccine, several thousand people would likely develop encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain, Washington Post, December 26, 2001.
7. Roger J. Pomerantz, chief of the infectious disease department at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, said that doctors have no idea what the smallpox vaccine might do to people at the extremes of life — less than 2 and older than 65. He said that an even greater concern would be its effect on people with weakened immune systems from HIV infection, chemotherapy, or transplants, Washington Post, December 26, 2001.
8. “Researchers have been reluctant to recommend a new vaccination program which would use the smallpox vaccine for the local population because the vaccine can cause disease and death in persons with inadequate immune systems,” Science, Vol. 277, July 18, 1997, pp. 312-313.
9. Routine smallpox vaccination in the United States ended in 1972. Officials are hesitant to resume the immunizations because the vaccine is the most reactive of all and has been linked to serious side effects, including death, Reuters, November 29, 2001.
10. Eight printed pages of medical studies documenting the many serious side effects of smallpox vaccination can be obtained at: www.whale.to/vaccines/smallpox.html. This site also documents problems with other kinds of vaccinations. Repercussions include serious brain and heart diseases, autism, abnormal chromosomal changes, diabetes, various cancers and leukemias, plus demyelination of nerve tissue years after vaccination. Of course, the percentage of risk for these adverse reactions may be low. Are you willing to risk your life?
11. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that vaccination must not be forced on persons whose physical condition would make such vaccination “cruel and inhuman.” In other words, the state has no right to command that an individual sacrifice his life in the name of public health, Jacobsen v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905).
12. By the 1920s, several British medical researchers documented that smallpox was not only more common among the VACCINATED, but that the DEATH RATE from smallpox was actually higher among those who had been vaccinated. This indicates that the vaccine was ineffective and predisposed vaccinated persons to more lethal disease, Vaccination, Dr. Viera Scheibner, Australia, 1993, pp. 205-220.
13. Getting a vaccination does not guarantee immunity. CDC, January 28, 1994.
14. By 1987, scientific evidence indicated that the World Health Organization’s 13-year global smallpox vaccination campaign may have awakened dormant HIV infection in many vaccines, Times (in London), May 11, 1987.
15. Vaccines made from animal substrate contain animal viruses that are impossible to filter out. By 1961, scientists discovered that animal viruses in vaccines, including smallpox, could act as a carcinogen when given to mice in combination with cancer-causing chemicals, even in amounts too small to induce tumors alone. They concluded that vaccine viruses function as a catalyst for tumor production, Science, December 15, 1961.
16. Some of the new smallpox vaccine doses will be created with animal substrate. Because the vaccine will incorporate vaccinia, the cowpox virus, many wonder about possible mad cow contamination. Fifty-five million doses of the new vaccine will be created using a cell line dating back to 1966 and cultured from the lung tissues of an aborted human fetus, World Net Daily, December 4, 2001.
17. The new smallpox vaccine will be genetically engineered. Many scientists believe that genetically engineered vaccines may be responsible for the global epidemic of auto-immune disease and neurological dysfunction, American College of Rheumatology, annual meeting, Nov. 8-12, 1998. Merck’s genetically engineered hepatitis B vaccine, Recombivax HB, is a classic example. According to Dr. Bonnie Dunbar of Baylor College of Medicine, many thousands of reported adverse reactions to the hepatitis B vaccine include: chronic fatigue, neurological disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and MS-like disease, Testimony of Dr. Dunbar to Texas Dept. of Health, March 12, 1999. Over 15,000 French citizens sued the French government to stop mandatory hepatitis B injections for school children because of resulting auto-immune diseases, Science, July 31, 1998. Dr. John Classen has published voluminous data showing that the hepatitis B and other vaccines are closely linked to the development of insulin dependent diabetes, Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, October 22, 1997.
18. The British vaccine manufacturer Medeva has a horrendous record of contamination and blunders. In 2000, the FDA found that Medeva was making vaccines in conditions of filth, resulting in contaminated products. Medeva had been illegally using bovine medium to culture its polio vaccines, then lied about it. Medeva also used the blood of a Creutzfeldt-Jakob victim (mad cow) to manufacture 83,000 doses of polio vaccine used for [against?] Irish children. Nevertheless, the FDA allowed the USA to accept Medeva’s flu vaccine (Fluvirin) for the year 2000, London Observer series: October 20-26, 2000.
19. In 2001, the British socialized health care system was reported to be in a state of collapse, with many hospitals and labs operating in abysmal filth. Five thousand people die each year from infections contracted in British hospitals; 10,000 become deathly ill from such infections. Sterilization procedures are barely adequate and said to be risking the spread of mad cow disease. Government ministers are reportedly trying to hush up the scandal, www.itn.co.uk, Jan. 6, 2001; The Sunday Times of London, November 12, 2001.
20. The U.S. Government apparently intends to conduct NO double-blind studies on the safety and efficacy of the new smallpox vaccine. It has ordered 286 million doses, one for every man, woman, and child in America at a cost of $428 million. At least half of this vaccine will be delivered by Acambis PLC of Great Britain. — by Amy Worthington
Judge Roy Moore is the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court. He is one of the most honored judges in America, receiving numerous awards for defending freedom. He is also one of the most vilified justices in the world. A Baptist, and West Point graduate, Moore believes that our nation was founded on Christian moral principles, and he sees no problem promoting those virtues that made our nation great, through his public office. He recently placed a 5,280-pound Ten Commandments monument in the Alabama Supreme Court. When he was a district judge, Moore fought to keep a Ten Commandments plaque in his courtroom.
In a recent 9-0 decision, Moore wrote a legal opinion which awarded custody of three teenagers to their father, over their Lesbian mother. Moore stated that homosexuality is “an inherent evil,” and shouldn’t be tolerated. He said the Lesbian mother’s relationship with a gay partner in southern California made her an unfit parent, and that homosexuality is “abhorrent, immoral, detestable, a crime against nature, and a violation of the laws of nature.” Moore quoted Scripture, historical documents, and previous state court rulings to back his view.
Atheists, homosexuals, and the like, are livid opponents of Justice Moore. There is probably no other judicial authority so hated by those who detest God’s Law. The Bible instructs us to pray for our leaders, who are God’s ministers for good, and a terror to evil, Romans 13:1-6. Certainly, Judge Moore needs our prayers, for his safety, protection, and courage to continue standing up for moral truth.
Some in the Church of God fear what would happen if moralistic Protestants proliferate in positions of political power. They have unwarranted fear that these professing Christians would turn on us nonconformist Sabbath-keepers, like John Calvin did on Michael Servetus. This is foolishness. I would rather be governed by a man like Moore rather than a man like Clinton. If men of high moral character like Roy Moore, abandon the public arena, it leaves the field exclusively to moral reprobates.
“The vineyard of the LORD Almighty is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah are the garden of His delight,” Isaiah 5:7.
The concept is beautiful, fully in accord with all I know about plants.
About being rooted, a phrase I recall most often is: “rooted and established in love,” Ephesians 3:17.
“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness,” Colossians 2:6-7.
We love, because He first loved us. Being thankful is the means for being rooted and established in love. Being thankful is being mindful of the love of the Father and of Jesus the Christ — love which stabilizes and establishes us. Love for God is to obey God . . . to do so establishes us in conviction and power! Jesus says: “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free,” John 8:32. Peter says: “We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, which God has given to those who obey Him,” Acts 5:32.
Branches of the true Vine must have light: “whoever lives by the Truth comes into the light” John 3:21. The earliest known word of the LORD is: “Let there be light!” — this first declaration especially befits His nature and character! “Children of light” are children of the Creator of the heavens and the earth!
To “seek His face” as we are enjoined to do, is to seek the Light — life and strength for a branch or a seedling!
Light powers the physiology of a living plant, with air and water crucial also; those two remind me of the Holy Spirit. — contributed by Jeffrey A. Caldwell
“And as it was in the days of Noe [Noah], so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man,” Luke 17:26. What were those days like? What will God’s people have to do during those days? It was a time of prosperity and a “normal” life. People who were not protected from the impending disaster ate, drank, and married wives, and were given in marriage, until the very day Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all, verse 27. Noah had to faithfully leave the good life, do what God told him to do, and as a result, he was protected from the worldwide flood.
“Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank [no famine in Sodom, either], they bought [no depression], they sold, they planted, they builded [homebuilding stops during harsh economic times]; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom [at the urging of angels of God who persuaded him to leave, and pulled him out] it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all [the Sodomites]. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed,” verses 28-30.
Both Noah and Lot were required by God to forsake the good life, and journey to an unknown destination. Both Noah and Lot were persecuted and ridiculed for their beliefs. They had to exercise faith that God would protect them when there was apparently nothing of which to be afraid. Their faithful action of leaving the good life was coupled with the Almighty fulfilling His promise as well. At the return of the Messiah, we too will be called upon to leave the good life, to forsake all, to even forsake the stuff in our houses, verse 31. Do not turn back, “Remember Lot’s wife,” verse 32. The “good life” is not what God has in store for us. He has something infinitely better.
“Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not,” Luke 12:40. At an unexpected time, even unexpected by the saints. One shall be taken, and another by his or her side shall be left. Where will they be taken? As eagles to the body, so the saints will be gathered to Christ, who is the body, Luke 17:33-37.
Will Christ Himself come to take, to gather, His elect? No, He will not. “And He shall send His angels, with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other,” Matthew 24:31. Just like the angels guided Lot out of Sodom. An angel may have closed the door of the ark. So likewise, will the angels of God gather His elect. When will this gathering occur? At a time we do not expect. Why will it happen? To protect us from the wrath of God (Seven Last Plagues).
“For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,” I Thessalonians 5:9. Notice that it does NOT say, “God hath not appointed us to Tribulation.” What it does say is that it is not God’s will for us to go through the wrath of God during the Seven Last Plagues, during the “Day of the Lord,” verse 2. God will protect the elect so they will not suffer His wrath of the Seven Last Plagues. Matthew 24 and Revelation give a time sequence of last day events — Seven seals: first, False Prophets; second, War; third, Famine; fourth, Pestilence; fifth, Tribulation; sixth, Heavenly Signs; and the seventh seal, which is composed of Seven Trumpets (Day of the Lord). The Seventh Trumpet is the Third Woe, which is composed of The Seven Last Plagues. See the free booklet, “The Key to the Book of Revelation.”
I Thessalonians 4:17 is not talking about the gathering of the elect, but the resurrection at the return of Christ.
A young school teacher in the Church recently told me that Harry Potter is just fantasy, no worse than Alice in Wonderland and the Wizard of Oz. Unaware of the pro-occult message, some Church kids have read the Harry Potter books, and some have even seen the movie.
The author of the Harry Potter series of books, J.K. Rowling, is openly anti-Christian, pro-witchcraft, and pro-Satanist. The stark parallels between Harry Potter and true Witchcraft should make every parent or grandparent concerned about their young ones. The Mother Goddess, Curses and Spells, Divination and Sorcery, Occult Symbology, Black Magic, Evolution and Reincarnation, Demon Possession, Pagan Holidays, Communing with the Dead, and more black witchcraft are evident in the Harry Potter books, and movies.
Let’s be frank, we adults have difficulty getting the message across to our kids!
One source of help is the new Jeremiah Films 58-minute VHS NTSC video, “Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged, Making Evil Look Innocent.” Order this resource for a suggested donation of $25 form Giving & Sharing, or borrow it from our free lending library, operated by John Crissinger, former Ambassador University Librarian, at Sharing Library, PO Box 581, Granville, OH 43023.
Do you know that God has Holy Days, which reveal His plan of Salvation? Man has substituted his holidays: Christmas, Easter, New Year’s Day, etc., in place of God’s Holy Days. Because of this, man has lost sight of God’s wonderful plan of Salvation, and man’s true destiny! Tom Justus has condensed and reprinted Herbert W. Armstrong’s classic, “Pagan Holidays or God’s Holy Days.” This 24-page tract is perfect for personal evangelism. Show it to your non-Sabbatarian friends. It clearly explains why we are to keep God’s Holy Days. Order single copies, or bulk, from: Church of God, Sabbath Day, PO Box 1645, Springdale, AR 72765-1645.
— written by Richard C. Nickels